Young Adult / Transition Service
We use the term transition to describe the process of planning, preparing and moving from children鈥檚 health care to adult health care.
We help to empower and equip young people with the skills necessary to manage their own healthcare.
Transfer is an event that should occur at a time agreed by the adolescent and their parents, as well as by the paediatric and adult renal staff, during the transition process.
Information and about us
We aim to:
- empower young people to understand their condition and treatment.
- equip you with the skills to function independently (where possible) in adult services and make independent decisions about your care.
- prepare you for your medical, psychosocial and vocational needs as you move into adult services.
- help support your engagement with your medical care moving forward.
- give your parents and carers confidence that you have the support you need to manage your medical care after transfer.
- recognise the continuing importance of family support in the early stages of transfer.
Landline: 01392 406062
Mobile: 07769 367064
Where to find us
RD&E Wonford, Barrack Rd, Exeter EX2 5DW
Renal Unit Exeter, Ground Floor Room S44
Meet the team
Renal Young Adult / Transition Nurse Worker
Services and treatments
Young people with chronic kidney disease (CKD) categories G3-G5 will be under joint care between local (麻豆影视 and Exeter Hospital, RD&E) and regional (Bristol Children鈥檚 Hospital, BCH) paediatric nephrology services.
These patients will usually be transferred to young adult services at the RD&E. Young people with stable CKD categories G1-G2 can be followed in primary care with advice to refer to adult nephrology, if there is evidence of progressive kidney damage and/ or hypertension or proteinuria.
Those children with CKD who also have problems with their bladder will be under joint management with a paediatric urologist. Many bladder problems will also need to be followed up in the long term. These patients will be referred locally to adult urology services.
Patient information leaflets
We produce a wide range of leaflets which provide information about our services and about the treatment you might receive in our clinics or during your stay in hospital.聽
We also produce these in different formats including large print, please contact the department you are visiting for more information.
We have a wide range of videos which provide information about our services and about the treatment you might receive in our clinics or during your stay in hospital.聽